Dr. Subhash Gupta is accredited all over the world for his leading work in liver transplantation in the Indian subcontinent. Dr. Subhash Gupta and his team has successfully conducted 300 Living Donor Liver Transplant in 2013 at Centre for Liver and Biliary sciences situated at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi which makes them the Most busiest and only Centre of the World.This has meant that 600 major Liver Surgeries each lasting 12 to 16 hours were conducted in 2013. This is an Amazing exercise and every few Centres in the World have managed to complete as any number of Transplants in One Year.
Dr.Subhash Gupta JoinedSir Ganga Ram Hospital in 1998 and set up Liver Transplantation along with Dr. S Nundy. The department conducted the first liver transplant in 2001. This was a deceased donor liver transplant. Along with Dr. S Nundy he started living donor liver transplantation as the predominant form of liver transplantation. After a slow start, the liver transplantation program took off with 66 transplants in 2006. He has pioneered the Development of LDLT in India. Previously patients had to travel abroad to get this treatment at a very high cost. His surgical techniques have brought down the cost to a fraction of what it costs elsewhere and made Liver Transplant available to patients from the India, Africa, Middle East and Far East.
Founder of CLBS(Centre for Liver & Biliary Sciences
Dr. Subhash Gupta is the Owner/President of The Center for Liver and Biliary Sciences. He has acquired an outstanding reputation in the field of Liver Transplantation comprehensive management of Complex conditions of Liver, Biliary tree and Pancreas. The Center has a highly qualified team Surgeons that has performed number of Living Donor as well as deceased donor liver Transplants. In 2013, the Team has also Helped other Centres within India and abroad to set up liver transplantation. The Team has helped hospitals in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Kazakhstan and results are comparable to those of the most acclaimed Centers around the world. Complex Liver resections for advanced cancers of the Liver, Gall bladder and bile ducts Cholangiocarcinoma are performed regularly at CLBS with gratifying results. Surgical procedures are complemented by an advanced intervention radiology setup that deals with procedures such as Channelisation, radio frequency ablation and per cutaneous alcohol injection into tumor tissue.
Pancreatic Surgery is also carried out in great numbers and we have conducted one of the Largest Series of Pancreaticoduodenectomy operation for cancers of the Periampullary region.The unit has treated patients from all over India as well as patients from Middle East,Africa and South East Asia.Apart from malignancies this unit has considerable skills in dealing with surgical management of all aspects of Pancreatitis. Its faculty consists of nationally and internationally known consultants.The Team has a Reputation for shunt surgery for patients who have bled from varices. In situations where the Liver is not diseased,then shunt surgery is quite an appropriate form of treatment.Often Because of blockage of Hepatic veins mesocaval shunts can reverse the damage to Liver.
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi, 2006 till 2016
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, 1998 - 2006
- St. James's University Hospital, Leeds, 1995 to 1998
- Queen's Elizabeth Medical Centre, Birmingham, 1993 to 1995
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 1981 to 1993
Education & Training:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- He has pioneered the development of Living Donor Liver Transplant (LDLT) in India
- He has published over 30 papers on different aspects of Living Donor liver transplant in indexed journals
- He has been honored with the position of Professorship in Surgery from Apollo Health Education and Research Foundation
- The Institute of Post Graduate Education and Medical Research, Kolkata has also honored him with the position of Professor of Liver Transplantation
- Delhi Medical Association awarded him with a Gold Medal in 2005. The Rotary Association of India has honored him for excellence in clinical medicine in 2012
- In 2012, the Delhi Medical Association honored him with the award of Vishist Chikitsh Rattan (Distinguished Clinician) on Doctor's Day
- In 2014, he & has team were one of the finalists for the category "Surgical team of the year" for BMJ India awards
- Apollo Health foundation has made him an honorary Professor of Surgery
- In 2016, the Uttar Pradesh government has awarded him the prestigious "YASH BHARTI" award
- In 2016, the Medical Council of India has awarded him the prestigious "B.C. Roy" award
- In 2016, he was also awarded "The Honorary Professor of Kazakistan"