With an extensive experience as the Former Head of Neurosurgery at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, and Chairman of Neurosciences Centre at Paras Healthcare, Dr Mehta is regarded as an institution and a veteran in the field of neurosurgery. Dr V S Mehta is an eminent neurosurgeon and one of the few doctors who have received awards like the Padma Shree and the Life Time Achievement Award (ASSOCHAM & 6th MT Awards).
Dr Mehta has also been a pioneer in the country for treating Low Grade Gliomas. He has also been instrumental in introducing Image Guided Tumour Navigation Technology and making Paras Hospitals, Gurgaon the first private establishment to implement the same in Delhi NCR. He compliments the ideology of the hospital in providing affordable, accessible & quality tertiary care services such as Neurosurgery.His areas of expertise in which he has been acclaimed & honoured internationally and nationally are - Surgery for Brachial Plexus Injuries, Surgery for Giant Intracranial Aneurysm, Brainstem Gliomas, and Insular Gliomas. These are procedures in which most neurosurgeons avoid operating, however Dr VS Mehta has consistently operated on these lesions and provided exceptional patient outcomes.
- 2001 - 2006: Chief - Neurosciences Center, AIIMS, New Delhi
- 1994- 2006: Head - Dept. of Neurosurgery, Gamma Knife Centre, AIIMS (New Delhi)
Education and Fellowships:
Recommendation for Lifetime Achievement Award - FICCI - 2017-Dr Dharminder Nagar - MD Paras Healthcare
- Delivered key note address in 6th Annual Meeting of Association of Neurosurgeon of China in 2006 at Beijing.
- Presidential Oration on 17th December 2007 in its Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India held at Agra.
- D Sehgal Oration on 07th February 2009 in its Annual Conference of Delhi Neurological Association held at AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Invited to Deliver A.D. Sehgal Oration at Neurotrauma Conference 7-9th August 2009 at Jaipur on Brachial Plexus Injuries.
- Presidential Oration on 11th Sept 2009 in its Annual Conference of Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery held at Manipal on 11-12th Sept 2009.
- P. Srivastava Memorial Oration on 14th Nov 2010 at its U.P. Con 2010, (U.P. Branch of IMA) at Saharanpur.
- Honoured with Swasthya Bharat Samman by L.I.C. Zee News on 15th Nov. 2010 at Gurgaon.
- Dave - Newton Oration on 19th Nov 2011 at K.G.M.C. Lucknow
- Lifetime achievement award for medicine ASSOCHAM 2016-17.
- Lifetime achievement award 6th MT Awards, Mumbai 2016.
- Dr Mehta was also elected as the president of the Neurological Society of India and as the president of the South Asian Neurosurgeons. He has over the years been extensively associated with the National Brain Research Centre, Indian Head Injury Foundation (IHIF) and various NGOs associated with research, education and awareness.
- Path Breaking Futuristic Approach For Neurosurgical Brilliance:
He has also been instrumental in changing the landscape of imaging & its implementation in neurosurgery. He has pioneered in the use of brain tumour navigation technology and other diagnostic tools such as CT Scan, MRI with facilities of functional MRI and Tractography, DSA machines to enhance the aspects of image guidance to deliver neurosurgical brilliance.
Awards and Honors:
- E. MERCK Gold Medal for best paper for year 1980 at its Annual conference of Neurological Society of India held at Calcutta.
- E. MERCK Gold Medal for best paper for year 1985 at its Annual conference of Neurological Society of India held at Madurai.
- Jack and Monica Britton Traveling Fellowship to visit different Neurological Centres in United Kingdom in 1986.
- Senior Commonwealth Fellowship 1994.
- Indian Medical Association South Delhi Branch Special Award for excellence in academics, 16th December 2001.
- Awarded for best recruiting STICH Centre in Asia June 2003.
- Presidential Oration on 2nd February 2003 - Delhi Neurological Association.
- Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences 2003.
- Awarded PADMA SHRI Award by the President of India for the year 2005 for the contribution in the field of Medicine.
- Nominated as Founder Member of World Academy of Neurological Surgeons in 2005.
- Dr Satyapal Aggarwal Memorial Annual Indian Medical Association (IMA) Oration on "Brain Tumours Past, Present and Future", 22nd October 2005, Ludhiana
- Nominated as a guest member of " The Japan Neurosurgical Society in 2006"
- Nominated as International member of the " Brazilian Academy of Neurosurgery in 2007".
- Delivered key note address in 6th Annual Meeting of Association of Neurosurgeon of China in 2006at Beijing"
- Presidential Oration on 17th December'2007 in its annual Conference of Neurological Society of India held at Agra"
- A.D Sehgal Oration on 07th February'2009 in its annual conference of Delhi Neurological Association held at AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Invited to Deliver A.D.Sehgal Oration at Neurotrauma Conference 7-9th August 2009 at Jaipur on "Brachial Plexus Injuries".
- Presidential oration on 11th Sept 2009 in its annual conference of Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery held at Manipal on 11-12th Sept 2009.
- S.P. Srivastava Memorial oration on 14th Nov 2010 at its U.P. Con 2010, (U.P. Branch of IMA) at Saharanpur.
- Honoured with Swasthya Bharat Samman by L.I.C. Zee News on 15th Nov. 2010 at Gurgaon .
- Dave - Newton oration on 19th Nov 2011 at K.G.M.C. Lucknow.
Research and Publications:
- A prospective study of pulmonary infection among 100 consecutive head injured patients.
- Reliability of CT scanning in the histological diagnosis of intracranial occupying lesions.
- Mycotic infection of the brain. A review of 12 cases.
- Critical evaluation and management of subdural hematoma.
- ICMR Research Project entitled "Collaborative study of head injuries, epidemiological, pathological, clinical and psychiatric aspects" - 1978-79. V.S. Mehta, P.N. Tandon etal.
- Results of surgery for brachial plexus and peripheral nerve injuries especially with the use of sural nerve grafts.
- Long-term follow up of Head injuries along with their psychological evaluation.
- Pharmacological intervention in neurogenic pulmonary edema hemodynamic and biochemical profile.
- Day care surgery for selected group of Neurosurgical patients.
- Cardiovascular abnormalities in head injuries with use of betalblockers in selected group of patients.
- Clinical trial in high grade Malignant Glioma - combining radiotherapy with 2 Deoxy-D-Glucose in Escalating Doses.
- Mechanics of intracranial pressure to hyperthermia and raised ICP in primates.
- Role of Gamma Knife in Benign tumour of the brain.
- Role of Gamma Knife in A.V.M. of the brain.
- Recurrent Astrocytic tumours : A study of Proliferative Index, Apoptotic Index and P53 Protein expression.
- Ralte Angela Mercy, Sarkar Chitra, Karak A.K., Sharma M.C., Mehta V.S.
- The response of chemotherapy and Radiotherapy in high-grade glioma in Relation to P53 Protein expression.
- Ketan Kalinga, Julka P., Rath G.K., Sarkar C., Bal C.S., Mehta V.S.
- Treatment of severe Intraventricular Hemorrhage by Intraventricular infusion of Urokinasae - A Pilot Study.
- Padma M.V., Jain S., Maheshwari M.C., Mehta V.S., Tripathi M. and Sharma P.
- Non invasive optical firbre probe based Near Intra red Spectroscopy (NIRS) for assessing brain activity a D.S.T. Project in collaboration with IIT and National Physical Laboratory 2003-2005.
- Sharma Anurag, Mehta V.S., Gupta Aditya, Gupta B.D., Malhotra R.
- Multicentric International Trial on "Surgial Trial of Intracerebral Haemorrhage" funded by Stroke Association and Medical Research Council (U.K.). Mehta V.S., Chandra P.S., Prasad K., Tripathi Manjari, Singh Sumit 2000-2003.
- Decompressive craniectomy for intradural lesions in Head Injury, Multi Centric International Survey. A European Brain Injury Consortium 2001-2002.
- Randomised Double Blind Placebo Controlled, Multientric, Dose Escalation Study to Evaluate the Safety and Preliminary Efficiency of Recombinant Factor VIIa (Novo-Seven/Nia Stase) in subjects with Brain Contusion (Trial ID: F7CBI-1600) 2005. Mehta V.S., Kumar Rajender, Gupta A., Sinha S.
- Evaluating the status of pro-inflammatory mediators across different grades of human astrocytoma (NBRC) 2009. Sen E., Mehta V.S.
- Higher (Fourth) Order Diffusion Tensor MRI based Generalized Anisotropic mapping of low and high grade gliomas : Towards a pathognomic diagnostic signature. Paul S., Mehta V.S., Roy P.K.
- Higher (Fourth) Order Diffusion Tensor MRI based Generalized Anisotropic mapping of low and high grade gliomas : Paul S., Mehta V.S., Roy P.K.
- Higher Rank Diffusion Tensor Imaging of Brain Tumors. Paul S., Mehta V.S., Roy P.K.
- Compensatory mechanisms to preserve picture naming in patients with frontal lobe tumor. Chakraborty A., Mehta V.S., Singh N.S.